Saturday, September 19, 2009

September 19, 2009 "Oh how I love my Saaaaaaaavior!" (it's a song on the come thou fount motab cd)

Dear Family of my life-

Well- I'm going to try and write a really good e-mail, but to be quite honest with you, sometimes I just don't :) BUT! This week we have an exciting topic! We just hosted the North America Central States Mission President Seminar! Wooo! Big long name. Elder L. Tom Perry came as well as Elders Rasband, Hallstrom and Snow of the 70, all of the area authorities, and 18 mission presidents and all of their wives. Lots and lots of people! Well, first of all let me just tell you that I debated about how much detail I am going to go into about the whole experience because you will probably just laugh at my mission even more and degrade it, but! oh well. It is what it is. I am a Visitors Center sister. I may as well own up to it huh? So, our main job was to feed everyone while they were here. This meant that we set up the cultural hall in the stake center with all of the place settings, center pieces, etc etc etc and help with preparing and serving all of the food and then take down everything and wash it all and make more food all before the next meal. I know you are probably all laughing but I do not think I have ever been that tired before on my mission. We had to be ready to go at six in the morn and we had special orders from our mission president that we had to "look good." So sisters were getting up at like 4:30. Crazy crazy. We also had color coordinated outfits dependent on the day, Sunday through Wednesday.Then we were at the stake center all day until 9:30-ish. At first I thought, "wow I kind of like all of this craziness- doing events like this would be fun." I still kind of think that, I would just like to be the one in charge:). And- no offense to the lady who made the food, because she is a very nice lady, but everything that was served had approximately a bajillion pounds of butter and mayo and fat in it. I wanted to be like Izma and say "is there anything on this menu that isn't swimming in gravy?" But I didn't :) I was able to learn a little bit more about how to be a waitress. That was fun. I got to "wait on" Elder Perry. He sure is a funny guy. I kept thinking I should have been all flabbergasted to be in his presence, but he really is just a normal person. Imagine that huh? It was interesting because our future mission presidents could have been at that conference. We were able to find out a couple of the missions that people will be going to. We know that someone is going to Billings MT (yay Gussy! :) ) and 2 sisters are going to Denver South. Denver South is where all of my district from the MTC is. So! Yes- I am very anxiously awaiting hearing where I will be for the next 6 months of my life. I am trying not to guess. I am really hoping I'll just be happy wherever it is and that I'll know that's where the Lord needs me. I wouldn't mind any prayers you might like to say for me though :) I suppose I could always go to Riverside and be with Gussy! Actually- I think chances of that happening are slim to none- but hey! So let's see what has been awesome. OH YES! Ok- I will tell you this experience then I should probably go. So! There has been this one Visitor's Center referral that I have been calling on. It's a boy named Christian who just lives a little ways from Nauvoo. He came here and wanted a copy of the Book of Mormon so I called to get missionaries to deliver it. He is still in high school and lives at home and his parents didn't want the missionaries over so it's been hard to try and figure out a solution. It's really really REaLLY hard for me to not want to just teach him everything over the phone by myself. It's hard to realize that my purpose right now here in Nauvoo is to help other missionaries to be able to teach people. But! Nonetheless, that's what I was trying to do. So! We figured out that we could have the missionaries come over to his friends house and teach him there. But then when he left a message for me (since we haven't been in the Call Center for awhile) the number for his friend got cut off and all this blah blah blah drama and I was just like "oh please just let us somehow get the missionaries to Christian!" But! I finally got in contact with him on Thursday night and come to find out that the Carthage proselyting sisters had tracted in to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn't even live in Carthage! It's like seriously- the biggest miracle ever. I was just so happy! And he was kind of apologetic that I didn't get to help him or I don't even know whatever and I was just like "Oh Christian- you have NO idea how happy I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And I just continued to flip out. So I was happy the rest of the night:) Moral of the story- life is good. I am SO excited to see what will be happening in my life in the next little bit. I just love being a missionary. God loves me. He is even helping me to not miss football so much:) Well! I love you lots! I might try to get some letters off- but- I am sending pics through e-mail. Also- I don't know when prep day will be next week because we have transfers tomorrow. Yes- transfers for like two weeks. Crazy. So! We'll see what happens. LOVE YOU LOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sister Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment