Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10, 2009 "Proper Picard"

Family-

So, I was reading in the white handbook that I'm supposed to be more professional in the way that I communicate with my family. To be honest, I have actually read that section several times. I just now started feeling guilty about it. So I will try and remedy how I usually express myself in e-mails. Instead, I will try and be more "sister mish" and when I say sister mish I mean sister missionary. Since I was also scolded for my excessive use of "slang" or "abbreviated terms." So! Let me see, how do I write to you now? Well, first of all, life is good. Life is great. Life is WONDERFUL! Everything here in Nauvoo has slowed down. We only get a fraction of the visitors that we used to. We are still staying busy doing a lot of calling and what not. We also teach the senior couples every night usually two or three appointments. It's been a really good experience because I really needed practice on actually sitting down in someone's home and teaching a whole entire lesson. Usually I just try and teach principles from lessons while giving tours. Which is definitely different. Well, I'm trying to think of anything terribly exciting to write about with out saying any slang terms or abbreviations. I love speaking with non-members. We have had a lot of them come into the Visitor's Center (not VC :) oh man this is killing me) lately. I most of all like showing people that Mormons are definitely not weird. OH! Did I tell you about this? I forget. I went to this place in Iowa called New London on "Nauvoo on the Road." We load up a whole bunch of pioneer-ish type things in this big trailer and go to county fairs and such in the surrounding area. Two weeks ago I think? I went with Sister Alexander and some of the senior couples to New London. It was pretty SWEEEEEET! Oh I mean it was a very nice experience. Well- it was a funny experience and I'm just going to speak from my mind about all of this ok? Ok. So! We get there and first of all I had to be wearing my pioneer dress which a) already makes the situation salty (right hann? :) I'm sorry I'm a dweeb) and then b) I totally didn't do my hair and I just put on mascara but I told everyone I was trying to look "historic" AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA and lets see what else. Ok. So I'm not sure if I was ever aware of how hick this part of the country is. Example one. So we were talking to this family. They kind of reminded me of the Duggars because all the girls wore skirts and the mom had big poof hair. Except they were more farmer version of the Duggars. And they thought that we were all polygamists from Salt Lake. I vote that having to wear a pioneer dress probably didn't help their perception of us at all :) HA! Anyways- so after we were telling them about the Gospel (since that is what we do) they sounded pretty good with all of it and we gave them pass along cards and everything. But! Oh yes. Man- I have to tell you about this you are going to love it. So out here- at all of these little city/county gatherings or whatever they have what are called "tractor pulls" and in these tractor pulls they have this mini-tractors that are kind of like a tricycle or big wheel or something but you pedal it. That's the point. So they stick little kids on these tractors and then they strap on weights to the back and see who can pull the most. That's what they do. And it's a HUGE deal. The pseudo-Duggars came from like 2 hours away just to do the tractor pull. They like go all over to do these things. The kids get trophies. It's a big deal. And let me just tell you- it's crazy. There was this like 8 year old girl who was pulling like 260 pounds. And this 10 year old boy who broke 300. And this little baby pulling like 200. Whatever. It was crazy. I figured that back in the day I probably coulda just thrown weight around with my man thighs and everything. I was probably built for tractor pulling glory. Too bad we didn't live out in the mid west...... :) Ok. That was a big tangent. I'm sorry. My comps still writing though.... so let's see what else. We find out where we're going on our outbounds in about 2 weeks? I think. I'm not good with time anymore. It just.... all runs together. Oh I know. This is a big deal because my prep day might be different next week. They are having the mission president conference for the central USA and so we're having 18 mission presidents come in and three 70's and L. Tom Perry. I'll write more about that next week I think though. It's a pretty big deal. We've been planning it for years.... hahaha name that movie. Well we have known about it for awhile. I can't remember if I told you about it or not. But! That's what I'll write about next week. Should be AWESOME!!!!!!!! I'm excited:) And now you all probably think I have even more of a cushy never do any work mission. Well- think what you will. I've officially decided that no one will ever know what my mission is like unless they've served here. And everyone else will just mock me the rest of my life. Alas:) OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just even remembered! BYU STINKIN BEAT OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!? DUH!!!!!!!!!! Where am I at even? Goodness. I just have to tell you. I was so just having to try SO hard to focus all day Saturday. And I resisted the urge to call any of the senior couples on Saturday night and find out the score. So I walked into church on Sunday and Pres. Reber comes up to me and says, "have you heard yet" and I was very anxious and said "no what happened?" and he has this really dead serious look on his face and goes "well Oklahoma 13.... byu 14" and then I flipped out in the middle of the foyer and started doing a happy dance and doing some air punches and I didn't scream or anything which I thought was good. But! I was. very. happy. And then like 8 other Elders came up and made sure I had heard what the score was. Apparently word has gotten out that I like BYU football?? What? Weird. Anyways. I did hear that Bradford got messed up. That's rough- he's such a cute little indin heisman winner. But! Win some lose some right? I'm going to really have to try and focus myself when we play FSU. OH man. I'm going to try very hard. We'll see what happens. Well! Much love! I need to jet! Isn't that Jimmy Neutron or something? I don't know anything anymore. Oh shood. I totally did not meet my goal of writing eloquently. Dang. Well. Next week:) LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sister Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment