Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24, 2010 oh say what is truth tis the fairest gem (that is what I have stuck in my head. random, yes.)

Family!

Well, what can I even say? My life is just grand. We just had transfers and I am still in Nauvoo. I have forgotten if I told you or not. Transfers here happen frequently! My most favorite thing about being a missionary here continues to be how often we are able to attend the temple. It is even better now that I get to see the Tovey's in there! I love all of the temple missionaries so much! They are all the neatest people. I also love the site missionaries. Old people rock! They are my best friends. I am not joking when I say I will probably come home and only want to hang out with all my senior missionary friends. They're more fun than most people anyways:)

Well! Summer is officially here! It's up in the 90's today. All the new sisters are dying of heat stroke. Ha- I tell them they ain't seen nothin yet:) Isn't that so nice of me? What's really great about it all is that our air conditioner in our house actually is broken. So it is really hot inside. We are all roastin like toasted cheesers it's so hot:) Things are starting to pick up a little as far as visitor's go. Sister McIntosh and I had a really great experience this past week. We had a non-member come in to the VC and we gave him a tour together. He was really receptive and we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and assigned him to read the Introduction and Moroni 10:3-5. He came into the VC the next day walks straight up to us and says, "I read what you told me to and I have questions." He had not only read what we told him but also the entire book of Moroni. He is studying right now to be a pastor. He actually came to Nauvoo last summer with a whole group of Methodists (I actually remember that group, imagine that:) ) He said that every time he has come in contact with the Church the people that he is with don't want anything to do with it, but that he has always been interested. So, we taught him the first and then we had him watch the Testaments because he had such an interest in the Book of Mormon. We then gave him all the chapters in 3 Nephi about the Savior's ministry in the America's. He said he was going to study it. Moral of the story! The Book of Mormon is the best tool we have as far as conversion goes. It does the best job of testifying of truth and bringing people closer to Christ. I love it because if people are sincere in their desire to learn, you can just sit back and let it happen because they will gain a testimony. So I am excited he was so excited about studying! It was such a blessing for me because I would be lying if I told you I didn't miss being a little proselyting missionary. Sometimes it is difficult here to remember "my purpose" because no one gets baptized. But! I still realize it's missionary work, just a little different, and sometimes done while wearing a pioneer dress (no I don't think I will ever get over that:) ) So! That was a really great experience we had this week. We've been calling in the Call Center a LOT. I like it because it kind of reminds me of knocking. A lot of people don't want to talk to you. Every once and awhile you get a yes and it's all worth it:) We've also been practicing for our "Sunday Sociable." If you don't remember that's when all the sisters get up on stage and we pretend like we can sing and then all of the seniors cry and think we're wonderful. It's really great. But! There are a few songs I probably won't be able to listen to ever again in my life. Three of my favorites! Down to the River to Pray, Consider the Lilies, and This is the Christ. I feel like Dewey on Malcolm in the Middle when his mom plays that one song and he runs through the house saying, "Why do you have to ruin everything that I love!?!?!?" But! I sing because that is what God needs me to do right now. Oh the life:) Well! I love you all! I want you to have some good referrals all picked out for me come pageant time. Just so you know. So we can help some people get in the water! of baptism that is:) I love you love you love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be good! Do work:)

Sister Picard


No comments:

Post a Comment