Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010 How to make a peanut and honey samwich!!

Family-

So! Can I just even tell you? My mission life is pretty crazy. I should preface all that I am about to say with this, no matter where I serve or what I do I am always a servant of the Lord set apart to be a representative of Jesus Christ. Now- to tell you what I did this week. So you might better understand the previous statement.

On Tuesday all of the sisters served the Temple Missionaries at the dinner that they have each year at the beginning of the summer. So we all had to wear black and white and serve dinner. Which was pretty fun actually because I got to see the Tovey's! They are so cute! I am so happy that the temple missionaries are here because now we get to go more often! Twice a week!!!!!!!! So then, my mission president's son was married last week. He was married here in Nauvoo so that his parents could be there for everything. So on Thursday morning I spent all morning helping S/Ludwig cut up fruit and get the food ready for all of the people that were going to be in town. We also helped to get everything ready for the open house that they had on Friday for all the missionaries. Then on Saturday, the day of the wedding, we helped out all day with the catering/decorations/set up etc of the wedding. Then that night we helped cook/serve/clean for the wedding dinner/reception thing. Again, we were all wearing black and white. We color coordinate a lot in this mission. :) So! If anyone ever needs me to cater or plan an event, well- I have LOTS of practice from serving here. It's funny because for all of the second summer sisters doing stuff like this is old hat. We've done it a lot. It was really funny one of the guests told S/Barry, “Well I bet this is something you don't do as a missionary!” And she replied, “Well actually we do it quite often.” Yes- I LOVE dealing with the funny snide remarks everyone makes about being a VC sister and serving at dinns. That is when I just have to do breathing exercises and plaster a smile on my face. And work on my humility. And tell myself that I am serving the Lord in whatever capacity He needs me to serve in. So you can imagine- we all were thinking about weddings for a few days. We even came up with a list of when we thought everyone was going to get married. Glad to report that S/Reece was numero UNO on that list :) YES! Her hair looks so good this summer- I am going to have to send a picture. We also had the wonderful opportunity of starting the fences again. The weather is good enough to have us outside now- so that is what we are doing to help NRI. We scraped fences on my day. All day long. It was AWESOME! Actually- it was pretty sweet because we got to be outside and get a little bit of sun. And let me just tell you how pasty I am these days. I think I have turned into a white person. Alas- that's life. Especially as a sister.

I have really enjoyed giving tours more this summer. After being in the field I feel a lot more capable. I think I am more in tune with the Spirit, bolder about asking for referrals, and more focused on PMG. On Saturday I was serving at the VC and had been feeling kind of off. If you can imagine, I was feeling a little more “tour guide” than “missionary” especially with all the crazy stuff we did last week. So I said, “Sister Picard it is time to stop being a lame-o and be a missionary.” I really prayed to be able to feel like a missionary again. I was able to give a really great tour to a girl named Deserae. She was from Chicago and had just moved there and wanted to come to Nauvoo. She had a couple of things thrown in her way when trying to visit- but was able to make it. I love it when I give tours and I don't feel like I am the “tour guide” but that I am that person's friend. I love when I feel a real genuine concern for the person instead of just telling them facts. I told her that I was so grateful that she had still decided to come and that even though I am supposed to like everyone that comes in, I really appreciated her being there:) She gave a referral! I am glad that I can sometimes help facilitate missionary work.

One thing that I have been thinking a lot about lately is that throughout my mission I have done a lot of work with members as opposed to finding people to get baptized. At first I really hated that because as a missionary all I should want to do is baptize. I think sometimes Heavenly Father knows what He is doing though. Correction- He always does:) The majority of my life will be spent in helping members of the Church strengthen their testimonies and come closer to Christ. I think it has been a wonderful experience on my mission to realize that is still important.

I love my life. I love being a missionary. Things are finally starting to pick up here. The YPM's are coming this week I think. So you know I'm excited about that :) HA! Keep up the good work. You are an amazing family. Sometimes I just sit and think and I can't even believe how amazing you are. I got baby's pics in the mail. And her instructions about how to make a PB & H samwhich. Goods:) I LOVE YOU!!!!! Be good! Do work :)

Sister Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment