Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17, 2010 we are family, i got all my sistas with me :)

Family!
So- if things weren't crazy enough around here- we are getting two more sisters tomorrow! That brings the grand total up to 22, which is 2 more than last year. It also puts 16 in the Hatch House. Which is also 2 more than last year. We are going to fit all nice and cozy:) Sometimes I wonder how that many girls are able to live in the house. Then I remember that the Church must be true:) Ha! We do actually get along really well. I can't even believe it sometimes, but we do. So! Transfers were yesterday. I am staying in Nauvoo, which I am actually very pleased about. My new companion is Sister McIntosh. She is from Layton, UT. I am really excited to be her companion, but at the same time really sad to not be with Sister Wendel anymore. It's sweet though, for the most part, I would be companions with anyone here:) Good Nauvoo sisters!
Well, what has been happening in my life you might ask? Well let me just ponder that for a moment. OH MAN! I just remembered the most exciting thing that happened this week that I am so excited to write about. Ok, first of all, allow me to apologize. Sometimes I think that I sound a little too casual in my letters home to you. I think it's because I just get so excited at the thought of communicating with you that it just all starts coming out and I'm typing and it's pretty much whatever I am thinking in my head. So! I still have a testimony. I love the gospel. I'm a good missionary girl, but as far as my e-mails go, it is what it is. So! This past week we have had several production crews in Nauvoo. They have been here for the World Report (what they show in between conference sessions) and for the Joseph Smith Papers and for another documentary they are doing. So! We get a call from President and on Friday night I think it was we went over to the mission home after we were all done for the day. The Ludwig's had been feeding all the different crews at their homes. This one gentleman, whom I forget what his name is, is very important in Church history because he had a few things to show us. Now, I hope that you all remember the talk that E/Holland gave in the October General Conference of last year where he gave the most incredible testimony of the Book of Mormon ever. You may also remember a little book that he held up. That book was Hyrum Smith's copy of the Book of Mormon that he and Joseph read out of right before they decided to go to Carthage. Yes, if you were wondering, I had the privilege of seeing that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In real life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He also showed us a copy of the 2nd ed. of the D&C that was printed by John Taylor. I felt so blessed. It was amazing. The Spirit was so strong just being the room with those books. It made me reflect on how lucky and blessed I am to be a missionary here. Sometimes it definitely is like the Hollywood mission of the church. So- people can make fun of me, but it has it's perks. I can't even believe it still when I think about it. The Book of Mormon is so true! It has the power to change lives like no other book ever written. It is amazing. So! This man was going to put those books back in this special little suitcase and we see a few other things just sitting in there so one of the other sisters asks, "What else is in the suitcase?" The man replies, "Oh, the original manuscripts of the Book of Mormon, the original Book of Commandments..." and a couple of other documents I can't remember now because my mouth had just hit the floor. It was SO neat! I felt like Joseph Smith must have felt when he opened up the place where the gold plates and the Urim and Thummim and the Sword of Laban and the Liahona all were together. It was just this SHOCK of the Spirit. It was as though I couldn't even breathe. I can't believe I was that close to something like that. Definite blessings for me this week!
The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Just like Joseph Smith said we draw nearer to Christ through reading it. It is a sure fire way to feel the Spirit and to come to know the Savior better. If you are ever having a rough day, just read the Book of Mormon. It has sustained me throughout my mission. I LOVE being a missionary! My life is SO good! I love it love it love it! Be good! Keep sharing the gospel. You are exemplary as far as member missionaries go. So I am giving you positive reaffirmations:) Love you! Be good! Do work:)
Sister Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment